Informing, Connecting, and Empowering Disciples and Other People of Faith for Ecumenical and Interfaith Justice Advocacy in the United States and Canada
Our Mission is two-fold:
- To inform, connect, and empower Disciples and other people of faith for ecumenical and interfaith justice advocacy in the United States and Canada;
- Apply our denomination's passion for justice and our vision of true community to public policy issues and concerns.
Through workshops, conferences, internships, internet advocacy, grassroots activism, and meetings with policy makers, the Center seeks to promote more thoughtful, more prayerful, and more effective public policy advocacy among all people of faith, especially the members, activists, and leaders of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada.
The Center is a recognized organization within the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) through our relationship with the Office of the General Minister and President.
Located primarily at National City Christian Church in the Christian Church Capital Area, the Center also has a presence in New York City through our relationship with Park Avenue Christian Church, and in Oakland, CA, through our relationship with both First Christian Church and the Oakland Peace Center. The Center also has a presence in Ontario, Canada, through our relationship with our sister ministry, The Disciples Centre of Public Witness in Canada.
a few things We've Achieved
- Aided in the formation of the Palestine/Israel Network among the Disciples of Christ, to encourage greater commitment by all Christians to a just peace between Palestine and Israel.
- Produced in collaboration with other denominations a "Faithful Budget," calling for policies and spending priorities that aid economically struggling families, promote worker justice, support and improve public education, protect the environment, and contribute to greater peace with justice throughout the world.
- Provided leadership to the National Religious Campaign Against Torture.
- Supported faith-based work related to ending predatory lending.
- Co-organized involvement of people of faith in the People's Climate March.
- Promoted the signing of a letter supporting the Miner's Protection Act (which ensures retired coal miners are not cheated out of their pensions and health care due to bankruptcy of big oil companies).
- Participated in advocacy days focused on indigenous Christian leaders speaking to Congress about their spiritual connection to public lands, and more.
- and much more!